Dealing with the Defaulted Employer

Over the last Six months I have been getting a lot of request from friends and online peeps who have read my posts on dealing with Dead-Beat Employers, and getting ripped-off for work done within British Columbia. So I decided to post one of my past experiences and post them here. I should also point out that this morning a friend sent an email about a listing she had seen on Craigslist. This prompted me to add it to this post for today.

I have to admit that British Columbia does react fast, and swiftly, when they received a complaint from an employee who believes he or she has been short-changed by their employer. This is a powerful right on your side, although you maybe left with no money for a few weeks, in Government Time, this process is fast.

I do not know who the author is, but all I can tell you is that this was posted on Craigslist under the jobs category, in General Labour.  So I will just cut and paste it here as it is:

“Posted: 2013-02-28, 4:36AM PSTHiring Shortly (Lwr. M/Land)Please Read Carefully:If you are not paid wages, overtime, holiday pay, etc.If this occurs, & you are NOT a union member, contact the Employment Standards Branch, of the BC Ministry of Labour, for details, at: must fill-out the complaint form & forward a copy to the employer.Contact the website to know what the deadline is for doing this.They will pursue obtaining monies owed to you (wages, overtime, holiday pay, etc.) on your behalf.Also: WorkSafeBC also will pursue the employer on your behalf. Go to: Using the above URL, click “Workers”; scroll down until you find the form: 57W1 Discriminatory Action Complaint.The deadline is that you must have this form submitted before 60 days has elapsed from the time when the wages were to be paid to you.”

My advice to this is keep in contact with the employer. This means phoning at least once a day, sending letters, and keeping a journal of every event between you and the employer of every detail—no matter how small. I my case, my employment ended shortly after I was to receive my final pay, so keeping the pressure on him really helped.
I should also add too that my employer had threatened me to call the police because of my phoning; I invited him to do so. The police never called me. I only had to call for Four days unit the I got a response from the Government stating that my pay dispute was in the final staged of being settled.
After Three weeks I got my money.

The official response from my then employer was, “this was an unfortunate mistake done by my accountant, and I apologize for the oversight.” A far cry from what he had said to me when he refused to pay me on my last day with him. Out of respect for my friends, and the agreement with WorkSafe BC, I will not defame my former employer, but I will freely talk about those bad events back in 2010 with anyone who will listen.


Comments are closed.

Post Navigation